Record Label Marketing
Record Label Marketing offers a comprehensive look at the inner workings of record labels, showing how the record labels connect commercial music with consumers. In the current climate of selling music through both traditional channels and new media, authors Tom Hutchison, Paul Allen and Amy Macy carefully explain the components of the contemporary record label's marketing plan and how it is executed. This new edition is clearly illustrated throughout with figures, tables, graphs, and glossaries, and includes a valuable overview of the music industry.
Record Label Marketing has become essential reading for current and aspiring professionals, and for music business students everywhere. The book also has a companion website located at www.recordlabelmarketing.com.
Record Label Marketing.
* Gives you an exclusive and complete look at SoundScan and how it is used as a marketing tool
* Presents essential information on uses of new media, label publicity, advertising, retail distribution, and marketing research by record labels
* Offers insight into how successful labels use videos, promotional touring, and special products to build revenue
* Includes important specialized marketing strategies using the tools of grassroots promotion and international opportunities
* Reveals how labels are managing within their transitional digital industry
* Looks to the future of the music business - how online developments, technological diffusion, and convergence and new markets continue to reshape the industry
Paul Allen is Associate Professor in the Department of Recording Industry at Middle Tennessee State University and co-author of Record Label Marketing, also published by Focal Press. He is also a frequent lecturer at other universities on artist management and other music business subjects. His career work has included radio, TV, political management, and the music business.
"This book covers everything you need to know if you are going to do marketing in the industry. By the time you finish reading Record Label Marketing you'll be able to create your own marketing plan for your own CD." - Clyde Rolston
1. The Basics of Marketing
2. Market Segmentation and Consumer Behaviour
3. The Industry Numbers
4. Marketing Research
5. Record Label Operations
6. Profit and Loss Statement
7. SoundScan and the Music Business
8. How Radio Works
9. Charts, Airplay and Promotion
10. Publicity of Recorded Music
11. Advertising in the Recording Industry
13. Music Retail Environment
14. Internet Marketing /Grassroots Marketing
15. Music Videos
16. International Marketing
17. Tour Support ? Promotional touring
18. Special Products and Special Markets
19. The Recording Industry of the Future
20. The Marketing Plan