Mobile Broadcasting with WiMAX
Principles, Technology, and Applications
Written exclusively from broadcasters perspective, Mobile Broadcasting with WiMAX will help you move ahead in the use of WiMAX technologies. Whether you are an engineer, content provider, manager, or operator and planning such services, this book helps you understand the dimensions of this new medium and integration of communication, broadcasting and Multimedia technologies. The book oulines migrating to a new generation of broadcasting which integrates the Mobile, Wireless and Fixed network domains, then gives you a complete picture on what is happening in the field.
The book is divided into five parts as follows:
PART I Gives an introduction to Broadband Wireless Technologies and Mobile WiMAX. Wi-Fi including 802.11a,b,n and g, WiMAX technologies with focus on Mobile WiMAX 802.16e, and provides a global overview of deployment of Wireless broadband networks.
PART-II is about Mobile Multimedia broadcasting and Mobile TV technologies, based on both cellular and broadband wireless.
PART III covers Resources for Mobile multimedia broadcasting and comprises of four structured chapters on Spectrum for WiMAX networks, WiMAX terrestrial broadcasting networks, client devices for WiMAX and an update of on chipsets developments.
Part IV is devoted to the Network Architectures and the integration of WiMAX with other networks, both fixed and mobile.
Part V deals with Software architectures and Applications which help the process of mobile multimedia broadcasting. Case studies of prominent networks are given with country specific examples.
Amitabh Kumar has over 30 years of experience in the telecommunications, Internet and broadcast fields. Currently he is Director of Technology for Essel Group of companies, Head of Broadcasting Operations of the Zee Network, India and Singapore, and Chief Technical Officer for Dish TV India DTH Network. The Zee Network is the largest Broadcasting Network of India with over 45 channels broadcast to over 200 countries, while the DTH network has over 200 channels and over 5 million customers. Kumar was responsible for setting up India's first Pay DTH platform, Dish TV. He is also a member on the Board of Directors of Essel Shyam Telecommunications Ltd. and Procall India Ltd. Kumar is a member of the Confederation of Indian Industries' (CII's) Wireless Knowledge Working Group.
PART-I INTRODUCTION TO WIRELESS NETWORKS AND MOBILE MULTIMEDIA
1. Why WiMAX for Broadcasting
2. Introduction to Broadband Wireless Technologies
3. Introduction to Mobile Multimedia
Part II: Broadband Wireless Technologies
4. Understanding WiMAX standards and Mobile WiMAX IEEE 802.16e
5. WiMAX Delivery -Terrestrial and Broadcast Networks
6. Broadband Wireless Networks ? Deployment Status worldwide
7. Standards Convergence in the Mobile Multimedia Broadcasting
8. Chipsets for Mobile WiMAX devices & WiMAX Handsets
9. Client Devices for WiMAX and Mobile WiMAX
10. Software Architectures for Mobile Multimedia Wireless Phones
11 . Spectrum for WiMAX Networks
12. Integrating WiMAX with conventional networks
Part III: Mobile Broadcasting Technologies
13. Broadcasting Mobile Multimedia
14. Mobile TV Technologies ? A Strategic Overview
15. IPTV and WiMAX
Part IV: Converged Architecture, Design and Applications
16 . Mobile Broadcasting using WiMAX ? A Technology overview
17. Broadcast Applications of WiMAX networks
18.WiMAX and Mobile Multimedia Broadcasting- Integrated Applications
19. Content Security in WiMAX Networks
20. The Business Case for Mobile WiMAX
21. Case Studies of WiMAX Networks
- Sprint Nextel
22. WiMAX and Broadcasting: Future Trends